Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome!

A good friend of mine has been urging me to post a blog about my amateur cooking adventures. I have a knack at whipping together semi-gourmet dinners off of random ingredients I dig out of my cupboard and fridge; a knack she feels could be handy to document. I believe it comes from a respect of cooking that is often overlooked in American society. Cooking, to me, is a deeply spiritual act, connecting us to nature and community and a way to seek out and discover more deeper, less discussed, possibly primal things about our selves and those we love.
"What the fuck is this hippie talking about" you ask?
Well- that is precisely what I plan to explain. I'm hoping to use this blog to document my feelings about food and our connections to it while also giving handy tips, recipes and ideas. Along with this I plan to document my adventures and misshapes in trying to make a completely electric free kitchen (excluding the fridge and stove- I do live in Brooklyn after all!) Why a manual kitchen? There are a few reasons. One is that by taking away the 'convenience' in cooking it returns to a ritual of not just sustaining ourselves but also of a tool to discover ourselves, to work with our hands and minds and think about what we are doing. It connects us closer to our food and makes it a labor. I like that. I don't need my food to be convenient. I need it to be good! The next is the obvious reason of lowering our footprint. Though it's not by much anyway that we can lessen our impact is helpful. It's like the penny a day. Besides, I always try to think about how any convenience I have means someone doesn't have it. I don't know if this is true, but I do know there is some scientific law that governs that; placement or something... Whether or not it matters, I like to think of it. Positive energy into the universe is all we can really do. (I sound like such a hippie! I promise you I'm not really.) It's even better if we can get used manual kitchen appliances, that way new ones aren't being made wasting more resources, when there are tons of vintage one out there. Some people find the used kitchen utensils disgusting, I think that's more from our societies consumerist values than actual sanitary issues, but I digress...
So hopefully it will be helpful and entertaining and help me articulate my love of food and cooking a bit further.

Thanks for reading, enjoy!
heartrl
P.S. If anyone sees any amazing manual appliances or has green ideas for the kitchen, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment